Friday, October 06, 2006

Big $$$ Ads Targeting Gamers?

Last night I was watching TV, and I see this ad for Travelers Insurance. I know the snowball rolling out of control is an old staple in cartoons and such, but to a gamer like me images of a ball rolling around the city picking up chairs, people, lamposts, and cars calls to mind one thing: Katamari Damacy. Is it possible that this commercial is NOT based directly on that game?

Then on the train to work this morning I'm daydreaming and looking out the window, and a billboard at the Pelham station catches my eye: "Make Rupees" it says. The ad is for Bloomberg. Now, I know rupees are the name for currencies in some south Asian countries--and this is clearly a play on "Make Whopee"--but rupees are also the currency in the Legend of Zelda games.

So I make a connection. And I begin to think. Can these ads be targeted at gamers? Both Travelers and Bloomberg serve people with lots of money. Like, you know, grownups and such. Not gamers. If these ads are at all related to games, I think it is because the creative types who make the ads are in fact gamers.

No comments: